Throughout the world there are groups of people who are known to live to quite advanced ages. What’s more these people tend to live to a healthy old age.
There is now a project to study these different groups and what they have in common. The zones of healthy old people are called ‘blue zones’ – simply because one of the researchers circled one of these areas with a blue marker.
The good news is that, for a healthy old age, lifestyle habits are more important than genetic inheritance.
And what are the lifestyle habits that we need to adopt? So far the researchers have isolated nine:
- Stop eating when you’re 80 percent full
- Eat more veggies, less protein and fewer processed foods
- Drink red wine, in moderation
- Have a sense of purpose in life
- Maintain a spiritual or religious belief system
- Work less, slow down, take vacations
- Make physical movement a vital part of each day
- Create a healthy social network
- Make family a priority
How to live a long and healthy life « wellbeingandhealth.net