Governments should protect "freedoms which do not violate freedoms" instead of making people do unchosen obligations.
A government which wants to make people do unchosen obligations, will have to increase the amount of compulsion needed until no room for personal will is left.
A government which protects "freedoms which do violate freedoms" on the other hand, will create human well being and prosperity.
Some of the "freedoms which do not violate freedoms" I can think of are:
- Freedom to choose obligations like marriages & contracts with anyone.
- Freedom to be gay.
- Freedom to abort non-volitional lifeforms like fetuses.
- Freedom to have possessions without violating with freedoms of others. e.g. Freedom to posses a kidney without violating the freedoms of others.
- Freedom to suicide
Some of the unchosen obligations I can think of are:
- Religious obligations decided by other people.
- Social obligations decided by other people.